The Politically Incorrect Mom

THE OPINIONATED RANTINGS OF A CONSERVATIVE MOM

Wednesday, August 10, 2005

You Know I Gotta!

Ok, I gotta say something.....just gotta, gotta, gotta!

On Sunday, August 8th, the Lancaster Sunday News published this article , which isn't really an article at all, but listed out "Slaves and Slave Owners, Circa 1800" who resided in Lancaster County.

Ok, I am as interested in history as the next person - in fact, I would much rather read something historically significant than any news that's going on right here and now, but I found the "article" to be both
inflammatory and irresponsible. All of the information listed in the article is Public Information that can be obtained through the Historical Society and/or the Court House.

For those of you who don't know, I live in a county that has very deep family roots. What I mean is, there are generations and generations and generations of families still living in Lancaster County that were here 200 years ago. If you don't believe me - just look at the number of James Martins' or David Stouts' listed in the telephone book. You'll find both of those names on the list of slave owners.

Now, maybe I'm naive, but I like to think that comparatively speaking (compared to neighboring cities) we do not have huge ethnic struggles. Lancaster County and particularly, Lancaster City is quite a melting pot of many ethnicities and I think compared to a lot of cities, we all get along very well together. I have, however, run into a few people (and I know - they're EVERYWHERE) who are always just looking for a fight when it comes to racial boundaries. I felt this article was a really good way to get some grudge-fires burning, once again, in Lancaster.

To me, it was like the author (whomever it is - seems he/she didn't want his/her name on the article.....might have been uncomfortable with that!) was saying, "Let's see how many African American's find their ancestors listed under the owner's name who is the ancestor of their neighbor! This ought to be fun to watch!" It's just downright
inflammatory!

So, I (being the loudmouth that I am when I'm behind the keyboard) just felt compelled to write a note about it in the "talk-back" section of the article. I will quote here what I wrote:

Personally, I'm appalled that they would print this information. While it holds historical significance to some - they could have just as easily written an article letting people know they had the information if it was wanted. I'm not a native of Lancaster County, but I can tell you that I would be in a bit of a panic if I were and I read my last name in that write up. Like it or not - there are a lot of people in this county who would/could/WILL use this information to fuel grudges and martyrdom. It's careless.
So - there it was - in black and white - ME saying I thought this was a careless act on the part of the newspaper. Well, I don't have to tell you that it didn't take long for someone to "holla-back" at me saying:

History needs to be told so it can never happen again. "Fuel grudges and martyrdom." How about "owning" other human beings and having the "right" to do whatever you please with those individuals. You want to sweep it under the rug? Sorry. The history of slavery in this country has to be told. I would also assume, **my screen name**, that you are white. Otherwise, you would not be worried about "panic" if you read your last name.
I had to do it, huh? I had to open my big mouth and get something started with someone who now thinks I am a racist who is indifferent to ""owning" other human beings and having the "right" to do whatever you please with those individuals". Now......now......now.....

WAIT A MINUTE! Isn't that exactly what I said was going to happen????? My comments were neither racist nor indifferent! This hate-monger just put words in my mouth because he was looking for a fight!

HA! Told you!

So, I just thanked the hate monger.....for proving me RIGHT!



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

 



Web Counter
Hit Counter
Since August 1, 2005

And one last teeny tiny detail...
This web site and all contents are the property of The Politically Incorrect Mom.
Use of contents without permission is strictly forbidden.
Please contact The Empress of this page for permissions.
Copyright 2005