The Politically Incorrect Mom

THE OPINIONATED RANTINGS OF A CONSERVATIVE MOM

Wednesday, November 23, 2005

A Grateful Heart


I stepped out on my front porch this evening to take in the sight of the first few snowflakes of the season as they floated to the ground. As much as I hate the snow, it’s always a pleasant sight, at least for a moment or two, to see the first snow. I noticed my flag had been blown up over it’s pole a time or two and walked over to straighten and smooth it and began to think about all I have to be thankful for. I looked up and down the street and was reminded that I am still the only person on my street who flies Old Glory 365 days a year.

I truly hope, I thought, that all of these people…nestled into their warm little homes with the television on…perhaps baking their thanksgiving pies…are considering how grateful we should all be for the sacrifices being made for us…each of us…every single day, by people who don’t know us…will never know us.

I am able to bake my pies, sit with my family, watch television and complain about the MSM. I am able to get into my car and drive it anywhere I choose. I am able to work 14 hours a day or decide to play hookie from a job that I choose for myself. I am able to take vacations with my family…dine out…surf the Internet or sit and do nothing. I can do any and all of those things because people have sacrificed for me. I don’t have to live in fear that a vicious dictator may have his thugs storm into my home and steal my daughters. I don’t have to work a job that is assigned to me by the government or stand in line for crumbs of food to feed my children. I don’t have to ask permission if I should choose to get into my car tomorrow and cross state lines to visit friends or family for the holidays. And I can do all of these things, not because I have earned them…not because I have purchased those rights...because those rights…those privileges were purchased for me and continue to be bought and paid for by those who have sacrificed their lives for my freedom.

With all the complaining we do and we hear every single day – let’s be thankful that we live in freedom – the kind of freedom that allows us to complain about stupid, meaningless things. We are so blessed that most of us have little more to complain about than the long lines at the grocery store or how stupid someone acted at work today. We have
it so good…SO GOOD. And the reason we have it good is because we live in the greatest nation on earth. Freedom isn’t free, folks. Never forget that.

Over the next few days while we are all supposed to be counting our blessings…do yourself a favor and remember those who are providing that freedom for you. Thank God for them. Thank God for their sacrifices. And if you are fortunate enough to be near a serviceman or veteran during this holiday, thank them personally. For those men and women who are unable to sit around the table with their families this weekend – send a prayer up for their safety as they fight to protect all those freedoms we take for granted.


Thank you, God, for the freedoms I am blessed with and bless, oh Lord, those who have sacrificed and continue to sacrifice for me.

1 Comments:

  • At 11:18 AM, December 03, 2005, Blogger Gina E. said…

    A wonderful post - patriotic and also sad. Sad because I know how you feel about being so proud of your country and the people who continue to fight for its freedom, but around you are people who take it for granted, and so often abuse the priviledge of being born in a great country. I feel the same about Australia. We are known as The Lucky Country, and it makes my blood boil when fellow Aussies don't support each other in working together for the betterment of the country.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 



Web Counter
Hit Counter
Since August 1, 2005

And one last teeny tiny detail...
This web site and all contents are the property of The Politically Incorrect Mom.
Use of contents without permission is strictly forbidden.
Please contact The Empress of this page for permissions.
Copyright 2005