The Politically Incorrect Mom

THE OPINIONATED RANTINGS OF A CONSERVATIVE MOM

Sunday, January 01, 2006

Out with the old and in with the new!

There’s something about that phrase that makes me take a deep breath. It’s almost liberating, isn’t it? I spent the greater part of the day yesterday going through my closets and drawers (2 walk-ins and a bureau) to gather clothing for charity. I live a blessed life, as evidenced by the fact that I gave away 2/3 of my wardrobe yesterday and my closets and drawers are still full. Today I took down the Christmas tree and un-decorated the mantel. To be fair, getting things back to normal is always my favorite part of the holiday season.

When faced with a new year I’m always forced to reflect on the last 12 months and take inventory of what I’ve accomplished - to help me look forward to the coming year and set goals for the next 12.

I don’t make “New Years Resolutions”. Deciding to exercise more, quit some bad habit or spend less and save more, today, doesn’t make it any more – or less – feasible that I will go through with it. I don’t believe in waiting for some milestone moment to do the right thing. If I should do it – and it’s possible to get it done – I like to think I try to accomplish things as they present themselves to me. I also ask God, each and every day, to help me to be a better mother, daughter, sister, friend, employer to all those who count on me.

It’s been a crazy year, full of ups and downs…the aftermath of the tsunami…hurricanes and war…happy and sad things…all year long. In spite of all the tragedy, controversy and bickering between the “sides” in the past 12 months, to deny that 2005 has been a good year is just plain stupid. Anyone who can’t look back over the past 12 months and find triumph in what has transpired here in the United States, the greatest nation on earth, and abroad…just doesn’t want to see the good.

Out of the hurricanes came stories of strength and courage. Out of the war came stories of triumph over the enemy and the birth of a democratic nation. Out of financial hardships has evolved an undeniably strong economy where the nay-sayers have predicted devastation. People are still spending. People who may never have had the opportunity to own a home have purchased homes in a strong real estate market. The gas prices the MSM predicted heading upwards of $10 per gallon have stayed under $5 in most places in spite of the hurricanes and the war in the Middle East.

We are a blessed nation. It’s amazing to me that as more and more people in this country turn their backs on God, He continues to bless us according to His immeasurable greatness.

So, I’m going to do what I always do. I’ll set goals and do my best to accomplish them. If I am sidetracked by unexpected “set-backs”, I’ll use them as a stepping stone, not a stumbling block. I’ll continue to give my best, strive for greatness, try to always do the next right thing, and in the end…settle for a happy, healthy, well-adjusted family. Because at the end of the day, regardless of what I have – or have not – accomplished, having a loving home to go to is more valuable than anything else in this world.

My wish for all Americans is that they remember how blessed they truly are and that whether you live in a mansion on a hilltop or a tent in the woods – the opportunities are limitless in this one nation – under God.

Happy New Year.

1 Comments:

  • At 10:14 PM, January 03, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey there PIMom,

    I hear you 100% about the New Year...As I look at my gloriously festooned Christmas tree (which won't be coming down until after the Epiphany), I cannot help but think of all the blessings that God hath bestowed upon us.

    Greatest country in the world? Absolutely.

    Of course, there is still work to be done...As I sit here this evening in front of the Christmas Tree, I think of the boys and girls dying in Iraq, I think of the homeless living on the street, I think of the CEO of Enron, Tyco, and Healthsouth who profited at the expense of the bluecollar workers like you and me.

    I don't even think I need to quote Luke 12:48 here, but for those of you that haven't yet bathed in the River, "From everyone to whom much has been given, much will be required; and from the one to whom much has been entrusted, even more will be demanded." When I meditate over those words, and then I watch Fox News, I feel frozen. The world is such a bad place, and so much is demanded...some days, the task seems too daunting to even go out the front door.

    What's a girl to do...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 



Web Counter
Hit Counter
Since August 1, 2005

And one last teeny tiny detail...
This web site and all contents are the property of The Politically Incorrect Mom.
Use of contents without permission is strictly forbidden.
Please contact The Empress of this page for permissions.
Copyright 2005