The Politically Incorrect Mom

THE OPINIONATED RANTINGS OF A CONSERVATIVE MOM

Monday, September 12, 2005

Are you sick of hearing about polls yet?

Here’s a good example of what I was ranting about last week. I know I’ve already said my piece on polls and how they’ve outlived their reliability/usefulness, and I’ve even been reprimanded for my “arrogant ignorance”….what ever.

I just thought I would point out the differences in how the polls are being reported on. Last week, Associated Press writer Will Lester quoted the AP’s Ispsos Katrina poll results as saying the following:


“Two-thirds of those surveyed say the federal government was not adequately prepared to respond to the disaster.”

In an article written by Associated Press writer Jennifer Lovel, the following was quoted from the poll results:

“More than half of respondents in an Associated Press-Ipsos poll last week said he is at fault for the slow response.”

“HE”, obviously, is G.W. Bush.

Now, forgive me for splitting hairs, but am I the only person who thinks there is a huge difference between the statement, “the government was not prepared” and the statement, “G.W. Bush is personally responsible”?

And NO, it’s not two separate polls – there is only one Ipsos Poll to be found that relates to Katrina.

So, can I thank Ms. Lovel for proving my point? The press takes what they will from polls – scews the results – defines the results in what ever manner suits the direction they are trying to take their article and leads the public with information that they call “factual”, all the while it cramming down the throat of the American public which is made up of an exorbitant number of idiots who believe everything they read/hear.

I know there are bigger fish to fry, but I hate polls. I hate the way they are quoted, misquoted, misinterpreted, misunderstood and represented as “fact”. I hate the MSM for all of that and more. I also know there are a lot of people who blame “W” for everything – boy do I ever! But the media is making me start to think like a conspiracy theorist and I REALLY hate them for that!

Now, if you’ll excuse me….I’m late for my Vast Right Wing Conspiracy meeting.

4 Comments:

  • At 10:17 PM, September 12, 2005, Blogger Ken said…

    Thank you for you post on my blog and feel free to link to it. I also was not surprised at Pam's answers. ACLU never gets worked up by what Muslims are doing.

     
  • At 10:27 PM, September 12, 2005, Blogger P.I. Mom said…

    At the rate they're going - they're going to be making the Muslim's tea if they don't wise up.

     
  • At 12:33 AM, September 13, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Two lines come to mind here:

    Statistics don't lie, but liars use statistics...

    and my personal favorite:

    75% of all statistics are made up on the spot to back someone's opinion...

    (((and my own corollary)))

    and the other 25% are quoting the first 75%!! ;~D

     
  • At 6:52 AM, September 13, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You're right. Statistics don't lie...unless they're gathered in a way that makes them illegitimate. Thanks for your comments.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 



Web Counter
Hit Counter
Since August 1, 2005

And one last teeny tiny detail...
This web site and all contents are the property of The Politically Incorrect Mom.
Use of contents without permission is strictly forbidden.
Please contact The Empress of this page for permissions.
Copyright 2005