The Politically Incorrect Mom

THE OPINIONATED RANTINGS OF A CONSERVATIVE MOM

Saturday, October 08, 2005

Your Opinion Please

I have a close friend who is a veterinarian and has just received two dogs who survived Katrina. Seems there is a network of animal lovers getting these four-legged friends to vet clinics and shelters all over the country - by way of a transportation chain. One person takes the dog/cat from the southern border to the northern border in their own state and someone from the next state picks up the pets and does the same thing...and so on...until they reach the destination/clinic/shelter that has agreed to care for them and help find them homes.

Ok, so here's my question... Are there a lot of people in New Orleans still looking for their animals? I am seriously considering adopting one of these beautiful dogs, and I probably will - but I can't help feeling the pangs of guilt that someone is looking for their "best friend" and other people have taken the dog half way across the country. I'm worried about that. Maybe our friend Uncle Speed can give us his thoughts, since he lives in New Orleans and he lost an animal in the hurricane. I’m open to any and all comments and suggestions on this.

5 Comments:

  • At 9:32 PM, October 08, 2005, Blogger Laurent said…

    Well, is there no way to find who those animals belong to ? No tatoo ? nothing around their neck ? Didn't those who picked them up first write on a label the place the animal was found, so you could call the area's sheriff to see if somebody's missin g the dog/cat/...

     
  • At 10:06 PM, October 08, 2005, Blogger P.I. Mom said…

    These animals have no identifiers. There is a site disaster.petfinder.com that I would like to think all rescued pets have been posted on, but there is no way to know for sure. I'm going to try to get some additional information from the network that transported them. I think, perhaps, these animals have been determined to be the pets of people who did not survive, but I am concerned that "they" may be just rounding up the animals and shipping them out, due to lack of the resources there to house them and care for them until they are claimed.

     
  • At 9:44 AM, October 09, 2005, Blogger Dad29 said…

    Your biggest problem is that many of the people who own the dogs/pets are NOT in NOLA, and may not have access to the 'net.

     
  • At 10:11 AM, October 09, 2005, Blogger P.I. Mom said…

    Good point.

     
  • At 11:20 AM, October 09, 2005, Blogger P.I. Mom said…

    Thank you for your insight. I feel the same way about my cat. That makes me feel a lot better.

    I'm visiting the dogs today. The biggest problem I'll probably have is having to take only one.

    I'll take some photos and post them here. Maybe by some mercy of God...
    Hey, you never know - stranger things have happened.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home

 



Web Counter
Hit Counter
Since August 1, 2005

And one last teeny tiny detail...
This web site and all contents are the property of The Politically Incorrect Mom.
Use of contents without permission is strictly forbidden.
Please contact The Empress of this page for permissions.
Copyright 2005